1 (5 lb) bag Idaho potatoes, scrubbed but unpeeled
2 large onions, cut into quarters
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup matzah meal
2 tsp. coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley (optional)
oil (for frying, so use your favorite)
apple sauce and/or sour cream for topping and dipping
1. Invite your family and friends over
2. Pour some oil into as many frying pans as you can and heat on medium
3. Shred the onions with a course grater and place them into an enormous bowl
4. Cut the potatoes so they fit inside a food processor then shred away
5. Add the potatoes and onions into a colander or a dish towel to squeeze as much moisture as you can out of them
6. Mix eggs, matzoh meal and salt and pepper in the enormous bowl and then add the potatoes and onions to mix.
7. Let the mixture sit for about ten minuets
8. Begin dropping 1/4 cup deposits of the mixture into the frying pans
9. Once golden brown on one side, flip em'
20. Set the finished latkes on paper towels to drain and serve with apple sauce and Sour cream!
21. Happy tummies and happy guests!
*Recipe source: The Valley Temple Cookbook, Cincinnati Ohio
Some family photos to ooo and awww over: